Renter Empowerment Class (R.E.C)
Renter Empowerment Class (R.E.C) is a comprehensive curriculum that provides additional education and skills to become a successful renter. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Low income individuals, or individuals who need money management skills to build credit and rental histories.
- Individuals to are new to the country.
- Individuals who are new to rental living, including young adults moving into independent living and individuals in transition.
The class uses the RentWise curriculum to take an active-learning approach and stresses renter responsibility.
Participants will better understand the benefits of a cooperative relationship with the property manager and learn how to find adequate, safe, affordable housing. They will also receive resources to help them maintain records and remember key steps to maintaining their unit and a collaborative relationship with their landlord and neighbors.
Participants who complete the Renter Empowerment Class will:
- Gather information to evaluate rental housing.
- Identify changing needs and wants in rental housing.
- Practice financial tasks related to housing.
- Recognize the components of the lease agreement.
- Practice positive communication skills.
- Identify methods to keep rental housing clean and safe.
- Explain proper procedures to end tenancy and avoid eviction.
The RentWise curriculum is divided into three units:
- Acquiring Your Rental Housing
- Sustaining Your Home Environment and Relationships
- Aspiring: Your Future Housing